• Posted by luisa-palazola on February 14, 2019 at 9:40 pm

It’s kinda awesome to scroll through IG and see the spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends, and just significant others of people with CF. I sometimes think it takes a special person to be able to commit to someone with CF, however I don’t think that cuts US enough credit, and neither that person.

Perhaps, I’m wrong. But, I think when you genuinely love someone. They’re worth the 2AM IV antibiotic infusion, or having to fly back home after only two days of vacation. They’re worth the fear of coughing up blood during a trip. And, figuring out the maze that is hospital parking.

When you love someone and have the capacity to do these things, it’s worth it. I say this, because for those who I love, I wouldn’t blink an eye.

You gotta do what’cha gotta do. When you love someone, you meet them where they are.

Of course, sometimes this can get into the territory of self sacrificing and draining yourself, which it’s important that your partner cares for him or herself. But, I think at the end of the day, especially with chronic illness, you do what’cha gotta do for the people you love.

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • morgan-polen

February 15, 2019 at 10:18 am

I totally agree with this thought! With CF, when you take in a partner that’s exactly what it’s all about, a partnership. Someone that not only loves and appreciates you but understands and is dedicated to doing life with you, whatever that looks like as a CF patient or not 🙂

Yes, there are a lot of challenges but so many rewards from the experience of it all. Makes everything the more meaningful.

• luisa-palazola

February 15, 2019 at 2:29 pm

@morganpolen exactly, it’s a partnership! CF or not — I genuinely believe when you decided to commit to someone, you commit to the up’s and down’s that come along for the ride, which are often unexpected and not always fun.

And in terms of CF — I think about the people I dated who didn’t quite understand CF, and for me — that’s not a me thing.

I think it says a lot of personal character to look up CF, to ask questions about our disease, and to be by our side. I can see how it’s scary, but hell, so is life. And I think those people recognize that life is full of unexpected up’s and down’s. 🙂