Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF When did you start talking about CF?

• When did you start talking about CF?

Posted by jenny-livingston on February 25, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I recently received a message on Instagram from someone thanking me for making fun, informative, shareable content about CF (specifically IG reels in this case). She said she wishes there were fun videos to share with her friends when she was a teenager.

“I remember ‘coming out’ of the CF closet to some of my friends, wishing there were more than medical books and dramatic fundraising videos to show them,” she said. “I hope there’s some CF teen sharing this with their friends right now.”

Personally, I was never “in the closet” when it comes to CF. Everyone who knew my family knew that my oldest sister was very sick and eventually passed away. They also knew I had the same disease she did. Throughout my childhood, I’d regularly miss school for hospitalizations or surgeries, and I felt comfortable discussing those things with my teachers, classmates, and friends. I grew up in a small town where everyone knows everyone, so it never occurred to me to hide or simply not discuss CF. I’ve always been an open book and never worried that another person might think differently of me because of my health.

Was there ever a time you didn’t feel comfortable talking about CF? Have you ever hidden it or purposely not spoken about it? Do you have a “coming out” moment in regard to CF? 

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 1 month ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.