• Which provider do you approach?`

Posted by luisa-palazola on February 23, 2019 at 4:51 pm

We often don’t talk sexual health within the realm of our CF care. But, because your sexual and reproductive systems are part of your body, they are intrinsically related and affect your CF health. And, I can definitely understand if you may feel uncomfortable bringing these themes and topics up with your CF team, or even if you sense they feel uncomfortable with them.

With that said, if there’s an issue or thought related to your sexual and reproductive health, I think it’s important to clarify:

1. Who, out of all your medical providers, do you feel the most comfortable talking about it with?
    2. On your CF team specifically, who do you feel the best talking to it about?

This is an endeavor I’ve dealt with for years. Even before becoming sexually active, my reproductive health was something I was aware of. As I was very aware of my experiences with my hormone fluctuations and my CF health — and I felt I was often written off. Fast forward a few years, I started having sex, and I was genuinely terrified that I had an STI. And, I remember the shame and fear of stigma that my pulmonologists might have, if I ended up with an STI.

Right now, I’m at the point in my life where I’ll tell anyone who needs to know, or who may know who need to know, or just needs to HEAR that sexual health is nothing to be ashamed of. And, sometimes, DOCTORS need to know that.

And, that’s just not a feeling someone should have. Your sexual health IS part of your CF health, and that conversation should be open.

luisa-palazola replied 5 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

The forum ‘Reproductive and Sexual Health’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now