Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Has any doctor changed your life?

• Has any doctor changed your life?

Posted by luisa-palazola on July 8, 2022 at 12:34 pm

This morning I ran into my pediatric pulmonologist – it had been about 4 years since I had seen him, and wow what a wild reminder of my journey. Dr. S has been one of the most influential figures in my life. Partly because he saved my life multiple times throughout my adolescence. But, I think what left a greater impact was his hope for me and my life, despite the difficult outcomes there are for folks with CF. Neither of us could have conceptualized a future where I wouldn’t be dependent on antibiotics, breathing treatments, and routine admissions!

CF journeys vary a lot from patient to patient, and our doctors have the capacity to be our biggest advocates or can very well threaten our lives. I’ve experienced both! I am curious to know what your experiences are with your doctors, has anyone changed your life? If so, how and why?

jenny-livingston replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

July 11, 2022 at 4:52 am

Good question. Almost all doctors I had, influenced my life and so are the doctors that assist me right now. Without medical assistance I would not be alive at all right now. I guess the doctor who foremost changed my life was my psychiatrist when I was a young adult. I was not able to come to grip with the transition from living a sheltered life at home with my parents and setting up an independent existence as a student in a big city without them. Dr. Weinberg taught me to relate to the world in a balanced way, based on equality and with confidence. He did this by example, forming exactly such a relationship between me and him. And he showed me how to form relationships with other people on that same basis, something that at home I was not taught at all. To me he was like a second father and mother combined into one person and he taught me how to be my authentic self. The relationship/therapy lasted for three years. He is no longer with us, but after 40 years I still have vivid and fond memories of him.

• jenny-livingston

July 12, 2022 at 10:22 am

Paul, what a lovely illustration of Dr. Weinberg and the influence he’s had on your life. I’m sure he’d appreciate these words and knowing that you still carry him with you.

• jenny-livingston

July 12, 2022 at 10:15 am

Luisa, I love this question and think it’s great that you still have that connection with Dr. S. I immediately thought of several people who’ve deeply impacted my life, but I’ll try to narrow it down to just a few for this response.

One of my current CF doctors (we’ll call him Dr. L for the sake of anonymity) has both saved and changed my life. He’s seen me through my absolute worst when it comes to my health, but also my most difficult life circumstances. He once said to me, “Life was not very kind to you and I had an increasing sense of dread…” but now, our conversations are very different. We reflect on those dark times while honoring the absolute wonder of what life looks like now. I’ve never felt such connection and trust with a doctor (which is not to diminish the greatness of my other doctors in any way — I’m blessed with several truly amazing providers).

Secondly, my CF pharmacist, Dave. He has said that we’ve “grown up together” and I completely agree with the sentiment. He’s helped me through so much, we’ve actively partnered in my CF care, and we’ve become “CF family” along the way. He continues to impact my healthcare and life in such positive ways.

And one more — Bill. I met Bill when I was 9 years old. As pediatric patients, we’d walk across a bridge that connects the children’s hospital to the adult CF center for pulmonary rehab. Generally, patients didn’t get to do this until they were 12 but I got a free pass since my sister was older. Once I became an adult, whenever I was hospitalized, I’d spent 5 days a week with Bill in pulmonary rehab. We’ve had countless talks about family, health, religion, philosophy, comedy, and more. When Bill told me he was retiring, we both cried. He has been such a positive presence in my life for nearly three decades now. He’s been retired for a few years now, but we are still in touch.

If I don’t stop now, I’ll end up writing an entire novel about the doctors and other providers who’ve changed (and saved) my life.