• A balancing act

Posted by jenny-livingston on September 22, 2021 at 12:25 pm

I have a clinic appointment tomorrow (in person, with PFTs) to check in with my doctor regarding the adjustment to my Trikafta dose. If you remember, a couple months ago I lowered my dose in hopes of reducing mental health symptoms that seemed to be related to Trikafta. Two months later, I can say with confidence that my mental health symptoms have significantly improved, but along with that some of my physical symptoms have worsened. I fully expect my PFTs to be a bit lower and I’ve had a few more sinus/gut issues since making the change, but I strongly feel that this has been the best choice for me. After my appointment, I’ll update with any relevant or interesting information.

My question for today is this: Have you ever been in a situation where you’ve had to sacrifice aspects of your physical health in order to better your mental health? How do you find that balance?

jenny-livingston replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

September 26, 2021 at 4:15 am

It took me a while to write this, twice I started thinking about an answer and nothing came.

That is, nothing more came than “intuitively” as an answer to your second question. The first question remained without answer, only now to recognize why: I think the distinction between physical and mental is probably not very relevant or helpful here. It tends to turn this into an exercise of gaining points in one area versus losing points in another – and then trying to make up the bill. Which is not how I experience things in general, since they are intertwined to an extend of non-separateness.

So, moving beyond that distinction, the real answer would be that if I don’t feel well, I always try to improve my level of being, starting of course from accepting what already is. So if no improvement is possible, there is no feeling of loss either. I am happy to hear that you improved your level of being by changing the dose of Trikafta. In my perception, this is all there is to it. No mental/physical balancing act, no gaining/losing, no sacrifice – just this. How does that sound to you? Or do you think this is too easy?

• jenny-livingston

September 27, 2021 at 8:31 am

How does that sound, Paul? It sounds absolutely lovely and it’s a reminder that is indeed helpful.