Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Activism and Advocacy Spotlight: Warpaint Wednesday

• paul-met-debbie

November 5, 2020 at 9:55 am

“War, power, ignite, fighting …”.

Although I sympathize with the cause of this event, I don’t resonate with the language in which it is worded. I know it is the popular way of speech, but that doesn’t makes it appropriate per se.
    I spoke earlier about this in a post, with the question “do you feel a cf warrior?”

I think coping with any adverse happening or circumstance in life, need not be seen as a fight, nor do we have to take the role of warrior and talk about fighting. If anything, we have to comply to circumstances. From that compliance, action may arise to improve things. Coming from complyance, these actions will be much more benevolent and effective than coming from resistance or fighting.

And a belligerent attitude is not only less effective, it also causes more stress, and a fight-or-flight reaction, and we all know this is bad for our health, especially when there is no place to go and nothing to do. “We” don’t fight “our” disease or do anything. The body takes care of this all, even (or especially) when we sleep. We can assist the body with measures like medication, healthy living, operation, implantation, transplantation, meditation etc. and take decisions in that way. But in the end, the body has to do all the work and it will do this graciously and all by itself.

It is like gardening. You can add manure, water, soil, keep the weeds out etc. This will provide good circumstances for growth. But all this action does not “grow” the vegetables or the flowers. Nature does this by itself. We would not even know how to do it. You don’t fight the garden, you support it. You take care of it. You provide.

So, November 25th I will not put warpaint on my face. But I will contribute my best smile and take good care of my body on this day. As always.

Join me if you want. Let’s gravitate away from fighting to caring. It is not only a point of view. It makes all the difference in the world.