Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Advice and nuggets of wisdom

• Advice and nuggets of wisdom

Posted by jenny-livingston on February 1, 2021 at 10:30 am

My grandpa once told me to never listen to the advice of someone who didn’t have to live with the consequences. Which, I thought, was pretty good advice. This, of course, doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t listen to the words and perspectives of others. There is much to be learned from the experiences of other people, but I believe there is no one size fits all approach to advice taking -or- giving. Even still, I want to share some of my favorite pieces of (paraphrased) advice and bits of wisdom I’ve received through the years.

Regarding health: 

The way things are now are not the way they will always be.
    An exacerbation or new health issue doesn’t necessarily mean this is a new normal. On the flip side, good health is not a guarantee either. Appreciate the good, work through the bad. Everything is temporary. This has helped me keep things in perspective when I’ve started spiraling during difficult health times.

Do what works for you, not what you think you’re supposed to do.
    This seems so obvious, but it took me a long time to take it to heart. In fact, it wasn’t until one of my favorite doctors said this to me that I realized it was okay to adapt and change my routine, medications, and treatments in a way that benefited me most (even when it’s not what is considered typical).

Regarding life in general (short and self-explanatory): 

Try not to take anything personally. No one thinks about you as much as you do.

If it’s not going to matter in 5 years, don’t spend more than 5 minutes being upset about it. 

Read. A lot. 

—————–

What are some pieces of advice, words of wisdom, or mantras that you live by? What pieces of advice have you taken to heart regarding health/CF or everyday life? 

paul-met-debbie replied 3 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

February 2, 2021 at 5:42 am

1. There is always at least one alternative – it’s outside the box
    2. Don’t think life, live it
    3. Trust your intuition
    4. Nature is not what surrounds me – it is me
    5. My doctor knows abstractions – only I know me
    6. I know nothing – going from there is freedom
    7. Don’t follow rules, just be good
    8. Reality is outside the mind – tidy up, let go, empty
    9. When in doubt, take a cappuccino
    10. I am never upset for the reason I think I am
    10. Don’t panic, nothing is under control
    10. Never make lists with more than 10 items

• jenny-livingston

February 2, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Paul, I have to admit that I was especially looking forward to reading your response to this question. I always appreciate your insight and humor.

• paul-met-debbie

February 3, 2021 at 9:30 am

Ah, and these are nice questions to answer!