Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Balancing Life: When Do You Say No?

• Balancing Life: When Do You Say No?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on February 28, 2020 at 10:08 am

I am working extremely long hours this weekend and all next week. Because I had surgery last week and had to take time off, I can’t afford to let more people down this time around. Today, I’m at dance from 12 until 10 PM, with no major breaks (I have to eat snacks while I’m teaching and talking). Tomorrow,, I work even longer hours, and the same goes for Sunday. If I could go back in time, I would say “no” to more things, but essentially, I had to help important people who help me all the time.

Last night, I had an utter panic attack about how I could possibly keep up with bodily needs (just going to the bathroom, let alone doing the post-surgery sterile sinus rinses, nebs, or anything else), and I came up with no answers. I simply can’t. When things become too busy, I always feel super panicked about the inevitable health fallout that might happen.

It’s not that I have a hard time saying “no” or canceling plans or letting people down… it’s that I have to do it so often, that then I try to “make up for it” with a frantic few days on the other side.

Does anyone else experience this constant push and pull, or is it just me? How do you balance it all?

paul-met-debbie replied 4 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • paul-met-debbie

March 1, 2020 at 4:19 am

What would you advise any of your loved ones (e.g. your own child) that would mistreat their bodies and neglect and damage their health the way you do by mismanaging their lives so badly? You know the answers, so don’t put untrue questions on the forum. Be honest with yourself and change your ways and desires. If you love yourself and your body above all (and you should, because it’s how the Supreme presents itself), you are entitled to a better, simpler, life. Go for it. Don’t condemn yourself for your mismanagement so far, you are not the only one to make these basic mistakes and we are all giving the wrong example to each other in this mad world of ego, money, desires and expectations.

But that doesn’t mean that we can’t or shouldn’t change. Find a way to quit the rat race. If you really want to be free and love yourself, you will find a way (or several little steps).

If not, this is all empty words to entertain your mind and the minds of others on this forum. Only you can answer this.

Check in with yourself and be totally honest. Don’t accept the “Yes, but…” answers that your mind will create. They are false. Talk with your “Child”, not with your mind. And don’t judge, condemn or pity.

May grace be with you.