Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Body Pains and Problems (and Brief Complaints, Eek!)

• Body Pains and Problems (and Brief Complaints, Eek!)

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on June 3, 2021 at 9:52 am

I have a symptom right now that I hate. Loathe, even. Because a disc in my upper back is having major issues, and steroids and PT are yet to help (waiting on a surgical appointment and new test results to learn best plan of action), I am having a hard time doing what I love most:  writing.

But really, truly, so. Every time I spend a chunk of time doing my actual job- as well as replying to doctor emails since I can’t call, communicating with family, and onward- my shoulders start to go completely numb, the pain of the pinched nerve gets far worse, and my hands start to work less and less.

Last weekend, I danced for 5 hours on Saturday and 7 hours on Sunday, and I still had less pain and issues than I do from a full day of computer work. It’s baffling to me. (But I guess we don’t look down as much when we are dancing?) Anyways, it is really cramping my style. My life. My ability to work. I feel like I’m avoiding my computer every chance I can get, and typing on my phone isn’t much better since the disc is messing with my hands. I keep wanting to say: “Who even am I?”

Writing is what I do (literally) for catharsis… as a living… to communicate. And so is dance. And both are deeply hindered by yet another disc occurrence in such a short amount of time. 

So, even though it might seem like this is just a post to complain about what’s going on… it’s actually meant to ask the following:

What is a part of your body that stops you in your tracks, when having symptoms? 

Is it headaches from sinus surgeries? Are lung infections the thing that can’t “mind over matter”? Is it pancreatic pain (ooh, I feel that one too) or liver or beyond? Is it something unrelated to CF all together- like a time you broke your ankle or hurt our wrist? 

If there was one body part you avoid ever being hurt again… What would it be and why? 

jenny-livingston replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

June 3, 2021 at 5:17 pm

I have terrible migraines that knock me out for the entire day, sometimes two. I simply cannot power through that pain or the associated symptoms. Lung infections, once I reach a certain point, are also very limiting but even then, there are things I can do with help or in the comfort of my bed. I’ve “thrown out” my back twice in my life, very mildly, and that pain was pretty horrendous (so I can empathize with your back issues, although I am FAR from understanding).

And sometimes, my tolerance has less to do with the amount or type of pain as it does with my mental and emotional state at the time. I feel far less strong and capable of living with pain when I’m struggling mentally.

I hope that this season of pain and recurring surgeries is over for you soon. <3