Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Treating CF Regimens, Medicines, and Physiotherapy CF and Teeth (Plus, Irrational Dental Fears)

• CF and Teeth (Plus, Irrational Dental Fears)

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on August 3, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Does anyone else have medical fears that make no sense?

Mine is teeth. I am utterly terrified of the dentist, which is nonsensical considering how many surgeries and medical procedures I’ve had in my lifetime. I had a cavity and crown scenario a week ago, and today (this morning) had 3 more fillings and a basic cleaning.

Should I be a whiny baby who wants a hug? No. Am I for no apparent reason? Yes. It’s not just my brain that overreacts… it’s my body too. Last week my face was swollen, my lymph node and ear ached, and I felt genuinely inflamed and gross for days for something that shouldn’t have caused much stress. Meanwhile, I walk out of some surgeries like a champ; kissing my biceps and flexing for fun. (Not really, but definitely in my mind.)

It’s almost funny how sweaty and nervous I can be for something like this versus far worse. (If you even say the word “gums”, I want to gag.)

Can anyone relate?

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

August 4, 2020 at 11:46 am

I have no issue with the dentist or teeth, but I really hate having my eyes messed with. I’d rather go to the dentist than the eye doctor any day of the week!

But here’s one thing that really, really gets to me: a flu swab! I’ve had it done a thousand times, but I DESPISE IT! The last time I had one, I ended up having a full-blown panic attack. As I was shaking and sobbing, I kept reassuring the nurse that she’d done nothing wrong – it’s just something that happens when a stranger puts things in my nose.

My partner finds this especially odd since I have no issue with my ENT doing a full scope of my sinuses on a regular basis (which is FAR more invasive and uncomfortable than a flu swab). It’s purely psychological!