Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jenny Livingston
      Keymaster

In order for them to be absorbed and work correctly, CFTR modulators need to be taken with fat. How much fat is up for debate. I was once told that 20 grams is ideal and for the first few years on Orkambi, I made sure I was getting that amount with each dose. More recently, a representative from Vertex told me that roughly 6 grams should be okay. Others have been told 12-16 grams by their healthcare providers or pharmacists. It seems that the answer varies depending on who’s asking/answering the question.

These days, I don’t aim for a specific amount, I just make sure that I am indeed getting some fat. I take my morning dose of Trikafta with breakfast and my evening dose with a night time snack, usually consisting of cheese, peanut butter, whole milk, or something along those lines.

Have you ever been told that you should be taking modulators with a specific amount of fat? If so, how much? What are your favorite modulator snacks?

Rusty
      Participant

I have not been told to take a specific amount of fat, only that fat must be taken with the modulators. I love fat. I usually use cheese or full-fat Greek yogurt. I am always willing to add liberal amounts of butter or extra virgin olive oil to many things, especially vegetables. I have no limits to the amount of fat I am willing to consume so I feel I am safely meeting the “take with fat” amount required to get the most out of my Trikafta.

Jenny Livingston
        Keymaster

@rusty you and I share the same philosophy here. I figure that whatever I’m eating will likely contain plenty of fat… that’s just how I eat! 🙂

It’s been interesting to see and hear discussions about this though. Some people are very adamant about needing to consume a specific amount of fat with each dose, but that amount varies by person. I wonder… where did we get this information? Why is it not consistent across the board?

Rusty
      Participant

I was not given specifics about just how much fat must be taken with each dose, only to take it with some fat. I just looked up the prescribing information from the Trikafta website and it says, “TRIKAFTA should be taken with fat-containing food. Examples of meals or snacks that contain fat are those prepared with butter or oils or those containing eggs, cheeses, nuts, whole milk, or meats [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].”
      Officially, it seems, there is no official amount other than “some fat”. Yay fat!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account