Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF CFTR Modulators and Reproductive Health

• CFTR Modulators and Reproductive Health

Posted by jenny-livingston on December 4, 2019 at 11:09 am

Once thought of as an anomaly, it is becoming more and more common for women with CF to have children. The number of women with CF who became pregnant more than doubled between 1992 and 2002 (according to the CF Foundation Patient Registry). As targeted therapies for cystic fibrosis get better and better, and life expectancy/quality of life for people with CF continue to improve, it makes sense that those numbers will continue to go up.

Changes in reproductive health after starting modulators is something to be aware of, especially for those women who do not want children or aren’t in good enough health to carry a baby. Women on modulators have reported changes in their menstrual cycle, spontaneous pregnancies (even for those who previously required IVF), and thinner cervical mucus. In addition, CFTR modulators can make hormonal birth control less effective. All of these things should be considered when starting or changing a modulator.

Women on a CFTR modulator, have you noticed changes in your reproductive health? Has your healthcare team made a point of discussing reproductive health when starting or changing modulators? 

ashley-smith replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • bailey-anne-vincent

December 4, 2019 at 1:38 pm

I would be so so so curious to know people’s answers!!! I know a fair amount of CF moms (including me), which is always so encouraging to know

• ashley-smith

December 4, 2019 at 9:15 pm

My son is 3 and is pancreatic sufficient. I wonder if he could possibly be fertile with this drug?