• Do you have a CF social worker?

Posted by jenny-livingston on January 16, 2023 at 10:00 am

I’ve mentioned a time or two that I am currently in grad school pursuing a social work degree. As I’ve been on this learning journey, I’ve been reflecting on my own experiences with social workers.

A social worker has been part of my interdisciplinary CF care team since I was a child, but I haven’t always connected with them. However, in recent years, my CF social worker has been a steadfast supporter of mine. She has helped me navigate some difficult life/CF/mental health circumstances, has shared resources, has given me encouragement and guidance, and has helped me feel confident in pursuing my passions outside of CF. Her presence in my life and as part of my CF care team has been incredibly positive; I wish everyone had the kind of support she offers.

Is a social worker part of your CF care team? Do you feel that your mental and emotional concerns related to CF are addressed at your clinic? What have your experiences with social workers been like?

William replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • gina-michele

January 18, 2023 at 5:34 pm

While I do not have a CF social worker myself as I am a CF caregiver, I have had a great deal of interaction with my husband’s CF social workers.  They have been wonderful resources in times of stress (like during scary, nerve-wracking hospitalizations – always making the time and taking the effort to check in and talk), great help during times of urgency (like when requesting a travel letter for TSA or helping with insurance discrepancies), and are overall such an integral part of the CF team and processes.  As a CF caregiver, I have come to lean on the CF social workers as well when needed, and am so immensely grateful for their kindness and support throughout.

• William

January 18, 2023 at 6:45 pm

I’ve had social workers come and go for the most part since I was a child. The main one I’ve always had is one of the kindest people I know and is always willing to go above and beyond for me. Until a few months ago, we had two. The other one we had I really bonded with as he was in the office more frequently. We had a big brother/little brother relationship and I miss him dearly!