Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Fantasy: What’s Your Dream Food Day?

• Fantasy: What’s Your Dream Food Day?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on November 20, 2020 at 11:28 am

Since I’ve been talking so much about weight, food and feeding tubes this week, here’s a fun question to end the week:

What is your perfect day of eating?

Not in terms of perfect health, or food allergy aversion, or working around the usual Cystic Fibrosis digestive problems, of course. That’s not fun.

IF you could eat whatever you wanted in a singular day, what would it involve?

I’d imagine coffee with Coffee Mate creamer first thing in the morning (I’m gross, I know), followed by waffles covered in crunchy peanut butter and syrup. I have always loved egg and cheese biscuits too (McDonalds style), so maybe I’d carb load from the go. For lunch I’d have Velveeta macaroni and cheese, and peas (I honestly love some canned mushy peas, but always on there own. Not mixed in the macaroni), or lima beans (no butter), and maybe a little bite of pizza with goat cheese on it, because if the world were to be ending, we can’t go down without tasting pizza. For snacks I’d have olives… a pickle wrapped in Swiss cheese with some mayo (gross in concept, great in reality)… and chocolate (Andes mint, York, peanut butter M&Ms: anything is welcome). Oh, and some sort of perfectly made latte with a sweet flavor like honey vanilla or coconut. Or maybe a small cup of Thai iced tea. For dinner I’d have “fatty sushi”, as I call it- Tamago, cream cheese, and avocado- with eel sauce. Maybe I’d add some smoked salmon too. I love cheese enchiladas so enormously, and queso, but corn upsets my stomach so much that I’m not sure I’d even want it in dream scenarios right now! I also love salads that are covered in crunchy toppings and too much ranch. For dessert, a couple of homemade Buckeyes (my sister makes them the best, and that’s what we had at my wedding instead of a cake)… coffee ice cream (I miss Cappuccino Commotion from Hagaan Daaz so bad; it’s discontinued since childhood)… and actual hot coffee again, with cream and sugar.

Wow… I could keep going! I somehow left pie off the list. And smoked salmon and caper breakfasts. And my love of stinky cheeses and sour cream.

I realize none of that was healthy…but this IS a dream scenario, right?

Now: How does that dream day compare to your real eating day?

Because of my stomach, I could probably only have one of those meals in full. I often don’t have breakfast at all and have just tiny meals all day until a heavier dinner. My stomach is unpredictable. Some days I’m eating large amounts and so happy. Others, I’m hurting and stuck with broth for days.

What about you?

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

November 20, 2020 at 12:48 pm

Oh, geez. This all sounds so good, with the exception of pie which has never been a favorite of mine. I’d also add a couple things: potatoes in one form or another, Pad Thai from my favorite restaurant near my hospital (2.5 hours away from home) and milk — my favorite thing to drink aside from coffee.

• paul-met-debbie

November 21, 2020 at 5:18 am

As usual I will try to provide some food for thought on this subject too.

It must be a piece of cake to respond to this item, after all I’ve got bigger fish to fry today, because some one has to bring home the bacon. As we all know, Bailey and Jenny, you are the cream of the crop, but for a writer of my caliber it should still be easy as pie to improve on both of your menu’s. The worst that could happen is that I get egg on my face and in that case I would be glad to eat humble pie. But let’s not cry over spilled milk and get on with it.

Although it sounds both of you could eat me out of house and home, right now I am full of beans myself and I’ll give it a shot nevertheless. I should however not go either bananas or nuts on this, that’s simply not my cup of tea. I would love to be able eating all that you have spilled and stay healthy at the same time, but one cannot have one’s cake and eat it too, so I will have to pass that on like a hot potato, otherwise my goose will surely be cooked.

I might of course turn out to write a lot of nonsense about this subject, but most people think I am nutty as a fruitcake anyway and that is peanuts to me. Actually, I am as sweat as honey. But let’s not rush ahead, the proof of the pudding is only in the eating after all.

I totally concur with you that variety is the spice of life, and I know you are like two peas in a pod, but looking at the list of foods you both pretend to dream of eating in one day, I suspect something fishy is going on here. Best to take your dream-menu with a grain of salt I guess, that might bear fruit.

In a nutshell: I sincerely hope for the both of you that the expression “you are what you eat” will not apply, otherwise you are in a pickle.

Paul

PS I am sorry I could not come up with a single contribution to your menu. Sometimes that’s just the way the cookie crumbles. Orange you glad it’s over?

• jenny-livingston

November 23, 2020 at 1:27 pm

Paul, this is fantastic! Haha! Thank you for the entertainment.