Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Help: I Am an Anti-Germaphobe Who’s Becoming a Germaphobe

• Help: I Am an Anti-Germaphobe Who’s Becoming a Germaphobe

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on January 24, 2020 at 11:12 am

I have never been a “germaphobe”, despite our predisposition for infections and sickness. I always thought that stressing about what we can’t control only causes more stress. Sometimes I’m even a little negligent in caring because I don’t want to be ‘that person’ who’s always stressed about germs and her health, when the world spins on without me.

I have two kids (if you didn’t know, kids be disgusting), a husband who works in the school system, and I teach dance most nights. Still, with all the flu and strep that’s going around my area right now, I can’t help but feel super vulnerable and nervous about catching something on top of my many somethings… especially because I’m on IVs and still getting “back on my feet” (metaphorically speaking).

This weekend I return to my job(s)- working very long dance hours, surrounded by large groups of people, concluding with a special black-tie gala for my dance company. Basically: so so so many humans.

I normally wouldn’t be nervous, but this time… I am. And I’m sort of embarrassed about that, because it’s so against my “laid back” attempts at personality and wellness.

Do you ever find that your reactions change over time? Or that you become anxious about things you wouldn’t have in the past?

luisa-palazola replied 4 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • luisa-palazola

February 5, 2020 at 10:51 am

For me, I find myself to becoming a lax but aware germaphobe… I think of airports and hospitals most often. I usually try to avoid hand contact with anything. Purell everything. Wipe an area with clorox wipes. But, in more daily and mundane experiences — I am a lot more lax, and almost find it to be liberating and an act of defiance to hold a door handle, and as I get older I feel even more wild. Sometimes I don’t clean neb cups between uses, have had them fall on the floor. I don’t recommend that to anyone, and I trust myself to deal with any repercussions I carry. But, those little defiances remind me I am human 🙂