Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF How Do You Deal With Loved Ones Getting Sick?

• How Do You Deal With Loved Ones Getting Sick?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on February 17, 2020 at 12:36 pm

My kids got the plague last week. Not really, but basically. And then my husband got it (sort of). And a lot of my dancers are sick too. I am facing down another sinus surgery super soon, and have been pretty “infecty” (technical term) since Thanksgiving, and am hoping to catch a break eventually and turn things around. I have a lot of major work deadlines coming up and a lot of goals on deck… and this has been a frustrating winter, to say the least.

So, my question is: How do you handle someone else in your home getting sick?

Do you try to isolate yourselves more frequently? Do you sleep apart? Do you throw caution to the wind and not care? I’d love to know how others handle this, and what your experience has been over the years.

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

February 18, 2020 at 11:10 am

In our household, it depends on the type of sickness. I have a bizarre ability to avoid stomach bugs (knock on wood) so if it’s a stomach virus — puking, diarrhea, etc. — I have no issues. I’ll let my daughter climb right into bed with me so I can comfort her and/or help her reach the barf bucket in time.

I’m always far more worried when it’s a head cold or respiratory virus. We utilize hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes and Lysol spray more often (in addition to regular hand washing) and I try not to snuggle them too closely. Sometimes my partner and I will sleep separately. But I’m not sure it matters much. About half the time, I get what someone else has… no matter how careful we’ve been.