Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF How Do You Prepare For Surgeries?

• How Do You Prepare For Surgeries?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on September 8, 2020 at 11:23 am

How do you prepare for surgeries?

I know most of us have talked about “what we pack for hospitalizations” before, but I’m curious: Do you prepare differently for surgeries versus tune-ups?

And not just packing… But planning at home too?

I have another surgery coming up (second in 2020 which, frankly, is a really good track record!), and I’m already mentally freaking out. I won’t be able to move a lot or sit for long periods of time, so I’m already trying to prep for grocery duties (my eldest daughter wants to help cook), cleaning (man oh man do I wish we could afford cleaning help once per month, because I can assure you things will get wonky fast without my help, haha), my jobs (trying to take a week off, as can’t afford more), where I’ll sleep (our current bed won’t work well with the initial movement limitations), and more.

I won’t be allowed to bend or twist at the spine for awhile, and… Well, anyone who’s ever cleaned up after kids and animals knows that’s 90% of the job!

I hate the loss of autonomy fast approaching, but know it’s the only way to get the independence that I’ve already lost back.

While recovering, what helps YOY feel the most comfortable at home?

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

September 8, 2020 at 12:12 pm

Like you, I try to make preparations to ensure things run smoothly once I’m home. This goes for both lengthy hospital admissions and surgeries (even if it’s a same day procedure). There are few things more frustrating to me than coming home to a mess, an empty fridge, or being met immediately with a to-do list.

I especially like having extra comfort items waiting for me at home – plush blankets or maybe a new pair of slippers. I also like to get foods that I wouldn’t necessarily have at home otherwise, as kind of an R&R treat for myself.