Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and CF “I Got My Vaccine!”: Expectation vs Reality

• “I Got My Vaccine!”: Expectation vs Reality

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on February 25, 2021 at 10:07 am

So yesterday was a big day because…. I got my first vaccine!

I have been waiting (and posting about the wait) here on the forum for awhile now, but snagged a “last second” type of slot for the Moderna. Navigating the lines and entry as a Deaf person was a little tricky (it always is when it comes to masks), since sometimes people in my small town approach the thought of an interpreter (in this case, my husband) and I as foreign aliens… but all went swimmingly and I felt so grateful and humbled to finally have access!

Because I was expecting my arm to hurt, the hurting-arm has been less daunting because I anticipated it from the get go. And I think that’s often the case with me, psychologically. If I anticipate the worst… it isn’t? Perhaps because my brain is pleasantly surprised? If I have not been warned about negative side effects or high levels of pain with a surgery or treatment (feeding tube placements, for example, which we talk about very casually), it is often a rude awakening.

Do prefer to know too much about medical procedures or their side effects, or too little?

Knowing “too much”, for me, often means being underwhelmed by whatever worst-case I was expecting, and in turn, makes a negative into a positive. Knowing too little never goes that well for me (“they said this would be like having your ear pierced”) and often leads to frustration.

What about you?

paul-met-debbie replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • paul-met-debbie

February 27, 2021 at 4:27 am

I prefer to know just enough to be confident.
    Mostly, it is about the quality of the knowing, not the quantity.
    Intuïtive knowing is superior to the knowledge of the mind.