• “I Wanna Be Sedated” (Spinal Taps)

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on March 5, 2021 at 9:59 am

I took yesterday off because I had another CT myelogram. 

This will be my eighth “spinal entry” in a year and a half. I had a spinal CT, then a blood patch, then two more spinal CTs, then two steroid shots and nerve blocks, and then another. So this, in one way or another, was the seventh time in a short chunk of time that I’ve had to hold very still (with zero sedatives, etc) while someone goes into my spinal region with a big needle. 

And it gets harder instead of easier. At least I think so. Now I’m aware of it and my brain goes, “But why?! Why are you holding still? Can’t you feel how shaky you are? Uh oh, what if your muscles jerk while they’re going in? Why are you covered in sweat?!”

I am supposed to hold still for 24 to 48 hours after (stay mostly laying down) since I have a history of spinal fluid leaks that need to be fixed via blood patch, but today I have dance to teach and go to CF clinic, so I’m going to do the best that I can until the last second.

Have you ever had a procedure that you wish was gently sedated?

I honestly think we should get a quick Ativan before our eighth spinal tap, you know? I don’t take anxiety meds at home so… It was just my stressed-out brain and me, trying to keep my shaking muscles calm. 

What about you? What is on your list of “Why am I not sedated?!” adventures? [Please cue The Ramones

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

March 8, 2021 at 10:22 am

As you know, I have a history of spinal leaks that require blood patches as well. Okay, one spinal leak following my epidural that required two blood patches to remedy. I can’t imagine having so many procedures like this in such a short amount of time.

For me, the thing I hated and wished I was sedated for was PICC lines. For a few years, they were done bedside and I had such traumatic experiences. I’d literally have flashbacks and nightmares about them. Then, one day, one of the Interventional Radiology physicians came to my room to look at my veins and said, “Hey, why don’t you have us place your lines in IR under sedation?” That conversation changed my life! Nobody had even mentioned this as a possibility to me before!

On a lighter note, we’ve been talking about teen and pre-teen hormones quite a bit lately… is there a way we can be at least slightly sedated while our girls go through puberty and their teen years? 🤣