• Let’s Get High Together……

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on May 5, 2021 at 10:41 am

I talked about a really hard “day in the life” of a workday for me (a couple of days ago), and although it might have seemed negative in its scope, the reality is the I come home from dance HIGH. Actually “high”. My Mom used to say, “Oh, they’ve got that dance high” when my sister and I returned from a childhood practice racing off endorphins, and I still think it’s a fix-chase to this day (whether or not that’s a good thing).

I wanted to know…

What makes you feel “high” in your everyday life, even if it happens very very rarely?

Is it travel? Is it finishing a good book? Is it getting a promotion? I’m not talking a present feeling. I’m talking a full body, can’t-stop-talking, top-of-the-world, endorphins spike. (Also, yes, the header was a little bit of tongue-in-cheek clickbait, I’ll admit.)

The downside of a high is there is often a crash on the other side. For me, the crash is a physical one the day after such an intensive dance day. Everything tightens and locks up. I am sore to hit-by-a-bus levels. And sometimes it’s even hard to type (like today) because of my hand and wrist pain. It makes texting people back a problem, and upticks my guilt and imposter syndrome to the max.

I’d love to know your experience with thrilling life experiences and how you balance it all out. Do you? Can you? Let’s chat

jenny-livingston replied 2 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

May 6, 2021 at 10:57 am

Something that gets me high (heh, I like talking about it in this way) that I had no idea I’d enjoy so much is public speaking. I’ve had the opportunity in recent years to speak to groups of varying sizes, and it turns out that I LOVE IT! It provides such a rush of endorphins for me.

Another guaranteed high? Seeing my daughter succeed at something and watching her beam with pride. This makes my heart sing in a way that not many other things can.

Lastly, everyday highs: walks in nature, sunshine, my pets, water (seriously, I am obsessed with any body of water), momentarily having a clean home, and coffee. Always coffee.