Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Mental Health Let’s Talk Mental Health: What Is Stressing You Out Today?

• Let’s Talk Mental Health: What Is Stressing You Out Today?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on December 9, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Question: How is your mental health today?

Yesterday I wrote a stream of consciousness rant about how sad and panicky I was feeling about finances, and the lack of time to balance both treatments and work. I already knew that Monday was going to kick my butt.

The problem is: I didn’t even live up to the challenge. My current sinus and upper respiratory infections ramped up so heavily last night, that I canceled my very important doctor appointment this morning because I didn’t feel up to driving the four hours (total) to get there, early in the morning. I will be driving to work late tonight and doing as much of my writing work from home as I can by day, but I’ve basically done only 35% of what was needed on a 100% day.

And the problem is… when things don’t get done, they still have to get done. They don’t just go away. I can’t just say, “Well, you’re dealing with a really painful infection right now and can’t sleep and your GI tract is bleeding and…..”

Sometimes, life doesn’t allot us that “and”. And dealing with that pressure can feel suffocating (at least for me).

So what do YOU do on weeks like this?

How do you balance your mental health amid all of the stress?

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

December 10, 2019 at 11:09 am

Lately, some thing have fallen through the cracks as I’ve prioritized my health over projects I’m working on. And while that’s probably the “healthiest” decision, it doesn’t always feel great. I hate not being able to follow through with things I’ve committed to, or even just everyday things: being a mom, running a household, making it to appointments, etc.

The mental burden of juggling all these things is as heavy as the physical burden we carry.

*Sigh* All of this to say that I don’t always balance my mental health well during stressful times. I try to prioritize and tackle one task at a time, but I’m prone to getting overly stressed and having meltdowns (which, for me, is a way of coping with the stress. I always feel so much better after a major cry session!)