• Let’s Talk Mental Health….

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on July 10, 2020 at 9:42 am

QUESTION: Do you see a mental health therapist through your CF clinic or on your own?

I have never really been into therapy “for myself”. I always had too many medical appointments on the schedule, so the first thing to go was mental health, to make room for more “urgent” health concerns.

My daughters have gone to therapy for years, and I prioritize it for them…. But never for me. Lately, however, the increase in telehealth appointments has made it so I’ve been able to see my own therapist and try to focus in on my mental health too.

I’d love to know YOUR approach to mental health. Do you see someone in person? Online? Through your clinic? Elsewhere?

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

July 10, 2020 at 10:05 am

I’m a huge fan of mental health therapy! It’s been so beneficial in my life. My clinic does a great job of prioritizing mental health, but we don’t have a clinical psychologist on staff. I’ve worked closely with my CF social worker to manage some health-related stress and procedural anxiety. She has been phenomenal!

Outside of clinic, I see a therapist in my hometown. I haven’t seen him through this pandemic, and I also haven’t taken the time to set up phone visits. I’m not even sure his office does telehealth visits and I haven’t wanted to find a new practitioner who does.

I know several people who have started therapy online and it seems to be going well for many of them. I’m so glad to hear that you’re prioritizing therapy for you. I really do think it’s an important aspect in our overall health.

Perhaps it’s time for me to get on the ball and connect with my therapist again….