Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Let’s Talk Teen (It’s Been a Bad Day)

• Let’s Talk Teen (It’s Been a Bad Day)

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on February 23, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Today has not been a good day. I wish we had a forum named “I Can’t Survive My Teenager”… Is that possible?

To quickly fill you in without sacrificing her privacy (she gave me permission to share the little bit of this because, “I wasn’t the nicest teen today,”), we had a terrible Teen Day. That’s the type of day where your child completely melts-down from the weight of the world and hormones, and basically cries and yells for hours (hours), so you can’t get any work done at all, and your deadlines and timelines keep piling.

I. Am. Tired.

These types of days are tough because no one understands from the outside in (meaning, when you say: “I’m having a family emergency”, we don’t think “Her teenager won’t stop crying and there’s no where to run”), nor do we give a lot of wiggle room for mental health in this world.

So here’s my question: What were YOU like as a teenager? Did your health impact you then? How did your parents handle it, or – if you are a parent- how was it raising one who may or may not have been sick?

My teen is of course not sick… she’s just a young girl with a very particular temperament. There is no “fixing” or “solving”; It’s simply listening and teaching coping mechanisms to deal with innate personality instincts and Empath ways. This has been ongoing her whole life, and every few months, we have a couple of days where the world freezes, things break down, and I must give all (literally all) of my time and attention to get through it. And that’s worth it and it’s what I signed up for… but it doesn’t make it any easier to explain to the outside world.

How did you get through tough times as a teen, and what made them better?

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

February 24, 2021 at 3:16 pm

Can I admit how afraid I am of these days? She is a great (I mean GREAT) kid, but if my daughter’s pre-teen meltdowns and hormonal outbursts are any indication of what lies ahead during her teenage years… I may be in trouble. But perhaps this is Universe’s way of paying me back. My mom (who was single for most of my youth) used to say that there was a poem written about me.

There was a little girl
    Who had a little curl
    Right in the middle of her forehead.
    When she was good,
    She was very very good
    But when she was bad
    She was horrid.

I think that these hard times are normal. I also think that those days definitely constitute a family emergency! As we enter those teen years, I may be asking for tips and help from you. Hah!