Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Scar Positive Feelings: What Would You Change?

• Scar Positive Feelings: What Would You Change?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on August 5, 2020 at 6:18 pm

If you could erase your scars through surgery… would you?

I wrote about the idea of #scarpositivity in my column this week, but was worried it came off as single-minded. Even though I said sentences akin to “everyone should feel good in their bodies”, I still expressed my decision to embrace my scars as much as possible.

Still, this isn’t right for everyone. I honestly hated my belly button for as long as I can remember. My friends used to tease me about my “belly button” obsession. I loved it when I had a piercing, but (after it became infected from a G tube placement), I was unhappy with it taken out.

This seems SO silly, right? I don’t personally want to go through elective surgeries when mandatory ones lurk everywhere, but I probably would have changed it if I could back then. In the end, it was changed accidentally during a stomach surgery, and I liked the remodel enough to stop harping on such a small detail.

We are our own worst critics and the pressure (especially on women) sometimes feels inescapable.

Do you think we need more #scarpositive conversations online?

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

August 6, 2020 at 1:08 pm

I’m all for any conversation that helps us recognize and reconcile things that bother us, help us find acceptance, or encourages the asking of difficult questions. In a previous conversation about scars, I think I mentioned that I’m not bothered by mine. In fact, I kind of view them as badges of honor. I enjoy reading your thoughts about scars because it gives me insight into a totally different perspective than my own.