Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Social Distancing Date Night: Sickness in the Movies

• Social Distancing Date Night: Sickness in the Movies

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on March 16, 2020 at 12:39 pm

As some of you might have seen already, the movie Contagion is suddenly trending on digital streaming services, despite being over 9 years old. A great many of us are studying up on pandemic-cinema, and there are so many sick movies to choose from that stretch far beyond the zombie-virus themed subtext.

This got me thinking: What do you feel is the best portrayal of sickness or CF in the movies to date?

Is it the most notable of them all in the CF world, Five Feet Apart? Or the lesser known like Jack and Jill vs. the World or Foreverland?

Is it the star-crossed teen tragedies of The Fault in Our Stars, A Walk To Remember, Now Is Good, Me Earl and the Dying Girl, Here On Earth, or Kiss and Cry?

Is it the cancer classics of Sweet November, Dying Young, Love Story, Stepmom, or the more recent Irreplaceable You?

Is it the cheesy weepies like Autumn in New York, Me Before You, Breathe, Midnight Sun, or Griffin & Phoenix?

Is it the ones that make you both laugh and cry, like 50/50 (one of my personal favs), Love & Other Drugs, or The Big Sick?

Is it the lesser known films like You’re Not You, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Seven Pounds (not lesser known but maybe lesser appreciated), Life as a House, A Monster Calls, or Restless?

Life as a House is one of all time favorite movies made, regardless of sick subplot. But in terms of accurate representation, it would of course probably be Five Feet Apart for me because… well, we got G-Tubes on the big screen, and that was pretty cool.

What about you?

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

March 17, 2020 at 12:17 pm

For me, Five Feet Apart did a great job portraying the relationships between patients with CF, and nurse/patient relationships. I’ve had a couple Barbs in my life (without so many HIPPA violations). And the relationship between Stella and Poe really got to me. When Stella cries out, “he was my best friend and I never hugged him.” AH, MY HEART! I have felt (and actually said) that very thing! So, with all it’s faults, Five Feet Apart is probably my favorite on screen adaptation of CF.

Stempmom is also a favorite of mine. But admittedly, I haven’t seen many of the other movies you’ve listed.