• Story Time: Helping Someone Else

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on May 26, 2021 at 10:17 am

Today I’m subbing for an advanced ballet class, and it made me think about “subbing” in to help someone else. Sure, teaching ballet is also a job (though most of my work is volunteer), but it’s still a way of helping someone when they can’t find coverage, or need another hand.

What is one of the largest ways you’ve helped someone else in their life?

It could be being there for a fellow CF friend with online chats, or my (now departed) CF best friend Zachary’s habit of sending pizzas to someone’s hospital room. It could be something major: lending an organ, a home, a paycheck.

I would say cooking up babies and creating life could count (I mean, they wouldn’t be alive without us!), but let’s keep this to friends and family who likely didn’t expect such a gesture of kindness.

What comes to mind?

jenny-livingston replied 2 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • jenny-livingston

May 26, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Okay, this one came to mind while reading your post. Once, my BFF (before she was my BFF), had a son in the hospital. He was admitted unexpectedly for an extended period of time. She was worried about finances at the time and knew that it would be difficult to pay for cafeteria food for herself while she was there with him. Because I’m a professional patient utterly obsessed with food, I knew how I could help. I sent a box of snacks, non-perishable food items, and a little bit of cash for the cafeteria. It wasn’t much, but it was specific to her needs at the time and it helped her tremendously.

I think that oftentimes, helping doesn’t need to be in the form of something big. Just listening and helping in small, specific ways can mean so much.