Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Treating CF CFTR Modulators Triple Combo — three week update from Ella Balasa

• Triple Combo — three week update from Ella Balasa

Posted by jenny-livingston on October 17, 2019 at 8:28 pm

Ella Balasa, a columnist at CF News Today, was recently granted early access to the “triple combo” — the latest CFTR modulator therapy from Vertex, which is currently being evaluated by the FDA.

Here’s what Ella has to say about it:

“I started the triple combo on September 23rd at 25% lung function. I have been followed at Duke for transplant, but have wanted to hold off on being listed until I gave the triple a shot. After starting, I caught what I thought to be a cold and had increased mucus and sinus draining for about 2 weeks, then it started to reduce in volume.

I use 3 liters of oxygen when exercising, and my O2 needs have been about the same so I didn’t expect much improvement after 3 weeks. But I had PFTs done and they increased 4% up to 29%! I was shocked, but so happy! I hope to continue seeing improvement as I know I still have mucus plugs in my lungs.”

Follow Ella’s journey on Instagram at: https://www.instagram.com/thisgirlella/

What are your hopes and expectations for the triple combo? 

jenny-livingston replied 4 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • luisa-palazola

October 18, 2019 at 10:33 am

Love it! Triple combo is … 😉

• jenny-livingston

October 18, 2019 at 10:42 am

It’s so exciting! Every time I hear stories like this or see the research (Dr. Boyle’s presentation at BreatheCon was awesome) I get so giddy!