Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF What is your preferred method of airway clearance?

• What is your preferred method of airway clearance?

Posted by jenny-livingston on August 20, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Vest.
    Pep.
    Manual CPT.
    MetaNeb.
    Huff coughing.
    Autogenic drainage.
    Active cycle of breathing.
    Airway oscillating devices.

These are some methods of airway clearance that I’ve either tried or heard of. I’m a Vest and Pep girl myself, but I know that we all have a preferred way of doing things.

What method of airway clearance is your favorite? How many treatment sessions do you do each day? What is the average length of total time you spend on treatments each day?

jenny-livingston replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

August 21, 2020 at 1:38 am

My preferred method is autogenic drainage and huff coughing. I integrate these with my nebulizing sessions, which are twice daily for about 2.5 hours in total (1.5 hours in the morning, 1 hours evening). I combine these with meditation. I always found hurrying this process is counterproductive.

I also consider all movement that stimulates breathing as airway clearance. One of the activities I like to mention as an example is walking our dog. That would amount to another 1.5 hours every day. Walking up the stairs is another good exercise.

Because of my limited lung function my breathing speeds up noticeably as soon as I start moving, so it becomes increasingly easy to perform airway clearance. Nature always provides a solution for our situations, it’s amazing!

Happy breathing,
    Paul

• jenny-livingston

August 21, 2020 at 12:09 pm

Paul, I really enjoy the thought of combining huff coughing or active cycle of breathing techniques with meditation. I find both mediation and yoga extremely helpful as I’m really dialed in and connected with my breath while practicing them. It’d be both easy and beneficial to add some huff coughs!