Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and CF A little bit of exciting news…

• A little bit of exciting news…

Posted by jenny-livingston on January 20, 2021 at 10:15 am

I was recently able to get my first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine! 🎉

My partner is an essential worker who has been in a very high-risk work environment for the duration of this pandemic. Our state chose to prioritize vaccination for people in his line of work. There ended up being extra doses, as many of his coworkers declined the vaccine, so it was offered to family members of employees — which included me!

After doing research and talking with my doctor, I had no hesitation about getting the vaccine. I feel incredibly fortunate to have had this opportunity!

I had a sore arm (quite sore to be honest) and some mild body aches which were lessened with ibuprofen. Within about 48 hours, those symptoms resolved. I’ll be getting the second dose in early February, 28 days after the initial dose was given.

We’ve recently been talking about these vaccines here on the forum, so I wanted to share this news! If you have any questions about my experience so far, I’d be more than happy to answer them.

paul-met-debbie replied 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

January 20, 2021 at 10:46 am

That’s great to hear, Jenny, thank you much for sharing!

Since no cf-patiënts (known) were included in the trial groups, it’s very important to hear feedback from those with cf who have recently been vaccinated.

Glad to hear your body took the Moderna vaccine well. No fever, no airway problems?
    In your situation it must be a relief for your family to be (better) protected indeed!

I would be very glad if more people would follow your lead and let us know how they fare after vaccination. This place would be a good forum for that. Perhaps you could start a separate post for that and pin it as new topic to prevent it from sliding down the list and disappearing?

• jenny-livingston

January 22, 2021 at 9:34 am

@jpaul No fever or airway issues. My arm was definitely more sore than I had anticipated, but the body aches were rather mild. I love the idea of having people share their experiences here! I’ll look into what might be the best way to do that and keep track of the topic as you suggested. Thank you!

@rusty Thank you! I’ve also heard of so many delays and organizational issues. It has been an increasing source of frustration for friends who want the vaccine but don’t have access. I’m afraid that in my specific area, there is a lot of misinformation. Based on the conversations Randy (my partner) had with his coworkers, it seems that many of them turned down the opportunity to be vaccinated out of mistrust and belief in some of the circulating misinformation. Darn it!

• rusty

January 21, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Congratulations! I hope the vaccine pipeline starts to open up a little wider soon. Mostly all I hear about are delays and shortages. Also, it is a bit disheartening that some people are declining to get the shot. I just hope it is due to valid reasons rather than misinformation or mistrust.

• jenny-livingston

February 18, 2021 at 10:09 am

I’ll be getting my second dose of the vaccine today! Originally, I was told I’d be getting it on February 7th, 28 days after the first shot. However, due to scheduling and supply issues, that date was changed to today (the 18th). It is still within the recommended time frame, but I was initially pretty bummed with that change. I’ve heard from many sources that symptoms can be worse after the second dose, so I am prepared for that possibility. I will share an update in a day or two to let you know what my experience is like.

• paul-met-debbie

February 19, 2021 at 5:35 am

Thanks for sharing, Jenny. Hope you will react well (few or no symptoms) to the second shot. And still remain equally careful after it.