Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Advice Needed: Preparing For Surgery

• Advice Needed: Preparing For Surgery

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on February 18, 2020 at 3:14 pm

I’d like to think I’m a bit of a pro when it comes to surgeries, though I’d rather not be. There are a few things I always try to do beforehand to prepare, like straighten my naturally curly hair (to make it easier to deal with in the days thereafter) or pack comfy clothes and blankets. But, while preparing for my next operation (just sinuses!), I’d love to know: What do YOU do to prep for surgeries or procedures?

jenny-livingston replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

February 18, 2020 at 3:35 pm

I always like to clean the house and make sure the fridge is stocked. There’s nothing worse than not feeling well and also having a gross house or no food available! I also like to eat a big, special, delicious meal before going NPO. As you can probably tell, I’m very food-motivated. 🙂

Hope your surgery goes well!

• paul-met-debbie

February 20, 2020 at 5:02 am

I had many of these sinus surgeries, lost count but I think 10. The last 8 (for polypectomy) fortunately I found a surgeon who developped a method for local in stead of general anaesthesia which made the process considerably easier on my lungs. So it was a day procedure. But I know that many surgeons still prefer general anaesthesia unfortunately. After my 40th it did not occur anymore, so hang on 😉. I guess they removed all the etmoid by that time.

To answer the question: I make sure there is a good stock of high quality coffee. Nothing says “home again” better than enjoying a good self brewed coffee together on the couch.
    We hope you recover speedily!

• jenny-livingston

February 20, 2020 at 11:05 am

@jpaul Yes!! I agree that coffee is vital to recovery (and, well, life in general).