Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF “Failing”… But Celebrating It?

• “Failing”… But Celebrating It?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on September 23, 2021 at 10:38 am

I wrote about demand versus reward yesterday on the forum, and about a big dance project coming up, and it made think about the first big hurdle I’m facing: Completing my company’s show before this new dance contract begins.

Here’s why that’s hard: I can’t dance for about 4 more weeks, give or take… which leaves me only about 2 weeks to get in shape for the show. 

That is impossible for most top athletes, let alone someone who has atrophy issues, malnutrition, and so on. So… I am stressed about it. We dance a LOT in the fall show (each act is about 30 minutes long with very few breaks)- although I, on purpose, gave myself far less to do than in shows past. Doing it well and with stamina and with strength is a daunting prospect. Doing it all without re-injuring what will only have just started to heal is also kinda scary.

So, let’s talk about deep, dark, truthful fears for a hot second (because apparently that’s my theme of the week):

What is something you are really truly worried you’re failing at right now?

I know we can all say “failing is relative” or only based upon our perceptions of how others perceive and so on and so on but… Most of us, in one way or another, still fight certain feelings of expectation we place upon ourselves, and still need to keep our heads afloat in day-to-day life, or health maintenance, or bill paying.

So… What are you worried about? (Is it taking your meds on time? Is it eating more? Is it who you are to your loved ones? Is it how clean your house is or how much you read?)

What is the secret current “fail” that you’re hoping to reframe for yourself?

tim-blowfield replied 2 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

September 27, 2021 at 5:17 am

I am failing in living sustainably and in concordance with nature. Although trying to minimize our devastating impact on nature, in this western lifestyle we are only relatively successful in this, doing what we can will not do the job.

I can only rely on and trust in the incredible resilience of nature, that has known even more extreme times than this in the evolution of the universe, and that in the end, all will be well. Nature is always balanced in a way and it has enormous powers to evolve, much beyond our capability of understanding. It’s mostly our minds that superimposes problems and judgments. All is much bigger and unknowable, so I try not to think this out because it is not for the mind.

• tim-blowfield

September 27, 2021 at 8:00 pm

You are amazing Bailey. We all fail to various amounts . Recognised by many philosophers and teaches in the past. The writer of the Bible book of Romans notes it in Chapter 3 verse 23 and even Jesus himself replied  “<b>No</b> <b>one</b> is <b>good</b>—except God alone” (Mark 10:8) acknowledging that we all fail.

But the way you pick yourself up and carry on is wonderful. Many do fail and are unable to pick themselves up. They need our help and encouragement. The Christian’s recognition of failure is not the end. That end is in the hope that follows: hope declared in the Gospel and the very grace of God.

So much for my ‘preaching’ but it is hope that is the counter to failure. As pwCF there is is hope that new treatments and understanding will resolve all the negatives of CF and allow pwCF to live a normal life.

Keep up your HOPE!