Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and CF Getting Covid Twice (Case Studies, Thoughts)

• Getting Covid Twice (Case Studies, Thoughts)

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on August 16, 2021 at 4:11 pm

I posted awhile back about the instances of immunocompromised patients contracting Covid after being doubly vaccinated, and said I would go into more information… and then didn’t.

And to be honest, I’m not a scientist or a doctor, so I probably should not be the person dolling out wisdom or data on the subject. Still, I thought that this bit of press from a fellow CF advocate, Travis, was especially compelling and surprising, as he shares his story of getting covid for the second time… after being double vaccinated. (From what I know, he was sick + vaccinated + sick again. In that order.)

I guess it’s no surprise that we can still potentially get sick with this considering we’ve been told all along “You can still get sick. You just are less likely to die from it”, but I was wondering:

Have you heard of or been connected to anyone who has contracted covid after being vaccinated?  

How do you feel about this personally?

I am not worried about it (that much?) myself, but am worried about accidentally giving something to one of my young students or someone else without knowing. That is terrifying to me. What about you?

tim-blowfield replied 2 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

August 17, 2021 at 4:12 pm

I now know of more breakthrough cases than I count on one hand. These are all people I know personally and it seems like a lot! But when I think of all the people I know who haven’t contracted COVID after being vaccinated, it’s clearly the majority.

I haven’t been too awfully worried for myself since we have gotten back into a more strict COVID routine again (masking, choosing our activities wisely, and generally being careful). And I hope that if we did somehow catch it, our vaccines would help keep it a mild case. It’s worth noting that all the people I mentioned who’ve had breakthrough cases have not felt too terrible and have recovered at home.

• tim-blowfield

August 21, 2021 at 6:18 pm

Certainly it does happen. We are experiencing a nasty wave of the delta variant but the numbers ill who have been vaccinated are few, very few need hospitalization and none have died. So we can say that both vaccines we have in Australia are working well.