Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Let’s Start a New Wave of Wellness…

• Let’s Start a New Wave of Wellness…

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on June 16, 2021 at 12:40 pm

I recently saw a bit of writing that posited that “wellness culture” can be inherently ableist and I was intrigued. 

Technically, there is so much truth to this, if you research the reasoning and industry behind diet and “health” culture, especially in recent years when shaming others on social media for their “wellness” habits has become more prevelant (How often do they meditate? Post about avocado toast? Do Hot Yoga?)

But there is truth to the following fact: Not everyone can participate in activities we consider “healthy”.

For example, I can’t eat salad any more (I literally dream about crunchy salad at night) since I don’t have my large intestine and colon, and no amount of “just eat more greens” is going to make it possible. The same goes for a lot of other activities and habits that we are told will make us the healthiest… but might not be accessible to everyone (especially those with mobility and anatomical differences).

So here’s my question for you:

How would you improve social wellness culture if you could?

If you could start a new “wave of wellness” online… what would it be called? 

paul-met-debbie replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

June 16, 2021 at 2:48 pm

To me, wellness culture looks like the love child of diet culture and ableism. I’ve become more and more frustrated with it over this last year or so. I also see a lot of crossover between wellness culture and the online spirituality community (which is not to say there’s anything wrong with spirituality, but when it’s touted online for profit, it feels a little ick and not like true spirituality at all).

I’d love to see a wellness movement that basically says, “You did what you could today. You listened to your body. You nourished your mind/body in some way, shape, or form. You did your best.”

Basically, a “good enough” movement is something I could totally get behind.

• paul-met-debbie

June 17, 2021 at 3:31 am

Culture is a form of mass conditioning and as such, it limits our freedom. Real wellness goes beyond the body-mind. Freedom is not to be found in waves, cultures or movements. What we need is the cessation thereof. Then the mind will be still, and the body will take care of itself in a natural way.  If you insist of a name, I would call it Being.