• Let’s talk about sputum

Posted by jenny-livingston on March 4, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Since starting Trikafta in late 2019, the only time I’ve experienced sputum production is when I’m dealing with some sort of sickness. This has been a stark contrast to the amount of sputum I had previously. I’m still amazed at it and I sincerely hope I never lose that feeling.

That being said, I was able to produce a sputum sample yesterday (as I am currently still working to fully recover from a virus I caught last month) and dropped it off at my local hospital’s lab for analysis. My last culture showed significantly lessened bacterial growth than pre-Trikafta. I’m curious to see what these results will be.

What is your sputum production like? Did it change on Trikafta/Kaftrio (if you’re taking it)? How often are you able to get sputum cultures done? Regarding the bacteria your sputum cultures, has the amount or type changed?

tim-blowfield replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

March 7, 2022 at 7:56 am

Yes a lot has changed. Sputumproduction is almost non existent since Kaftrio. I still do my nebulizing twice a day, more out of habit than necessity. Nothing comes up.

Even my only exacerbation in december 2021 produced only fever, no sputum. Weird.
    I managed to scrape some sputum from the bottom of the barrel and it turned out to be cultureable even. Some weird bacteria that I had never hosted before. Achromobacter Xylosoxidans – and a lot of it. My doctor at first thought it not necessary to treat, but because the fever persisted we started 3 weeks of bactrim and it cleared up. There was also a little bit of staph. aureus. So always hard to tell which beasty causes the symptoms. Since end of December I have not taken any antibiotics. Before Kaftrio I had a lot of sputum and continuous amoxyclav antibiotic, but never any growth in the cultures. Only dead stuff.

Later I read an article in which this Achromobacter was described as increaslingly posing a threat to pwcf. So I was glad we knocked it flat.
    This is a bacterium that mainly florishes in an aquatic surrounding, so it might feel happy in my now better moisturized lungs? I will keep an eye on it. I am due for my 3rd bloodsample for liver enzymes after starting Kaftrio and then I will also have a new sputum culture made. Liver is doing well fortunately.

• tim-blowfield

March 10, 2022 at 6:46 pm

Hi Jenny and Paul,  What wonderful results.

Achromobacter is another of those bacteria picked up from wet/moist environments like Pseudomonas and Burkholdia  spp.  that you cultured it does reinforce that we cannot be complacent even with the wonderful improvement when on Trikafta/Kaftrio.    Still need the careful watch of CF Physicians and Units.

And what else has improved?     Do continue to document all improvements and effects.  Side effects – are they transitory or permanent?   All this can show light on CF which I believe affects every cell in the body to some degree.  Most ‘co-morbidities’ suffered by pwCF are not co-morbidities at all but real consequences of the faulty CFTR gene and channel.