Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Treating CF Regimens, Medicines, and Physiotherapy Medication Refusals: What’s Your No Fly List?

• Medication Refusals: What’s Your No Fly List?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on April 1, 2021 at 10:21 am

I was recently in the hospital for surgery (as mentioned quickly) and was put on ketamine for the first time in a long time (or maybe ever? I think I’ve tried it once before but not sure?) and learned that… I hate it. I hate The-Ketamine. And not because I’m allergic to it (not at all)… I just hate how it makes me feel. In particular, how hard it is to see, which means it’s near impossible for me to communicate as a Deaf person.

As far as I remember, I also hate strong amounts of fentanyl (more so for how I feel after I’m off of it) and I really don’t like those behind-the-ear anti-sickness patches they give you, because I also believe they make me dizzy… though I’ve never tested the theory? It honestly could be complete malarkey on my part.

I hate that I’m adding ketamine to my “I strongly dislike” list- because again, it’s not like it’s an allergy- but I always wonder… How much do I complain going in for a procedure, and how much do I just bite my tongue and roll with it?

So, my Question For You: Are there any medications that you strongly dislike, even if you aren’t allergic to them?

And if so… Do you speak up? I hate Prednisone for example and will avoid if and where I can, but I won’t truly refuse to take it if I need it. But ketamine? I think I might gently refuse, if given the chance.

What about you?

jenny-livingston replied 2 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

April 2, 2021 at 2:52 am

Always speak up. Telling what you want (asking what you need) is a gift. A gift to the other person that allows him to serve you in the best way possible, which will make him shine as well in doing what he does best. It’s win-win, don’t let your mind frustrate this natural process by holding back. And reciprocate the honours when the roles are reversed. It is a beautiful play where no one is giving and no one is taking. It just happens.

Always act in natural mind, like a baby. When you want a dry diaper or food, cry for it. Growing up is about learning how to do this effectively and graciously, not about learning to neglect your natural needs. Be a gracious baby. It is a mix of power and softness. Like the reed bending in the wind, never fighting and never breaking, firmly rooted in its natural position. Allow life to bend with you and serve you. It is not separate from you. You are it.

• jenny-livingston

April 2, 2021 at 11:47 am

I’ve never tried Ketamine, but I agree with your assessment on the behind-the-ear patches — I hate them! I have a couple meds on my allergy list that I am not truly allergic to because the way they make me feel isn’t worth it. I do have some pretty severe allergies to meds, so they are obvious NOs. But those I won’t take, just because include: higher than 3% hypertonic saline (it hurts and 3% works just as well for me), vancomycin, and cipro (if it can be avoided).