• Need Anxiety Relief (TV Recs?)

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on March 3, 2021 at 11:57 am

I am on a positivity kick. I am clinging to whatever I can find (online, in books, on a screen) that can boost my mood [even posted about this yesterday), as times are tough and pain is relatively high. I think the stress and anxiety of a pandemic and the selfishness of other humans has finally hit me in the face… and I’m on a downward spiral.

I hate watching intense or sad shows right now, because it makes me even more anxious. Instead, I’m turning to tried-and-true or relatively peaceful favorites, so I can fall asleep or end my day on a “good” note. Know the feeling?

What books, movies or shows do you turn to, when you need to feel better?

I have always loved watching Chef’s Table when I’m stressed, because the cinematography and whimsy carries me away. I love the visuals, the content, the food. I used to love The Kindness Diaries on Netflix (though I’ve seen them all, and don’t like rewatching in the same way I rehash Chef’s Table), and of course, my new all time favorite The Long Way Down (as well as The Long Way Up and The Long Way Around).

I stumbled upon The Long Way Up on Apple TV awhile back and was hooked. I like pretending I’m outside my house- experiencing the world with a best friend, and seeing the terrain shift and change first hand. I’ve watched all three (an adventure travel series spanning a couple of decades) and wish there were more. Even my daughters love it! They want to be Ewan and Charlie (the stars of the show) for Halloween.

And, of course, it wouldn’t be a positive post if I don’t mention Ted Lasso. I want to be him. I love him. I loved watching a show that didn’t rip your heart out when you least expect it, and instead had a tender, tempered take on life, sports, love and humor. Extremely rare these days.

What about you? What do you watch or rewatch (or read) when you can’t stand the world?

rusty replied 3 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • paul-met-debbie

March 4, 2021 at 2:44 am

Why limit yourself to the passivity of watching a screen? This only gives very shortlived distraction, but it doesn’t feed you. We find much more relief in doing little creative things ourselves. And there are many more things to find peace and joy in. Have you ever read the books of Sarah Ben Breathnach? We can strongly recommend Simple Abundance (365 Days to a Balanced and Joyful Life). It is filled with eye openers to lead a more fulfilling life.

If you must be a passive screen-eater, we can recommend youtube channels Green Renaissance and Mossy Bottom. These present very inspiring portraits of people who found many ways of living a meaningful and natural life. But again: staying away from the screens is much better, they eat away your Joy, energy and passion and give so little in return. You have to do fulfulling things yourself, not only watch others. These can be small things that you can even do sitting when in pain or when your energy is low. The joy of having accomplished something yourself and connected with your own innate sources of creativity is so much better. Things like copying a great poem by hand with a good fountainpen and nice color ink seem small, but can be very relaxing and energizing. Learn to draw or paint, pick up a musical instrument, sing! What did you like to do as a little child? Most adults forgot how to play. Reconnect to your unborn mind.

And even more important: go out and take a little walk in nature, several times a day. If only for 10 minutes at a time. Use your senses and notice the breath. Don’t spend your life in house and car. This is not where we belong. Connect to nature. It is the ultimate source of life, energy, joy. It will help to bring your mind at ease and find the innate happiness that is beneath the artificial layer of our poor modern way of life. It is not gone, it is all still there waiting for you. Remove the veil of the mind and enjoy the layer beneath and beyond. It is pure energy. For free.

• rusty

March 4, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Episodes of “Finding Your Roots” are very interesting.
    For guilty, mindless pleasure there is “Schitt’s Creek”.