Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Treating CF Regimens, Medicines, and Physiotherapy Question: What Is Your Favorite Antibiotic?

• Question: What Is Your Favorite Antibiotic?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on June 2, 2021 at 9:11 am

One of my dancers just started Doxycycline (for a skin condition) and the two of us have been talking about symptoms. The first time she tried it – at a much higher dose- it made her super, super sick, and she had to go off of the medication all together.

I of course gave her all the usual tips (which she definitely didn’t need me womansplaining to her but I couldn’t help myself): “Never take it on an empty stomach…. make sure you’re drinking more water than normal…. start off with a smaller dose than recommended and work your way up”. After awhile and with a smaller dose, she adjusted and has been doing okay. But it got me thinking…

What is your favorite antibiotic?

Yes, weird question… but is it for us? Not really (haha). Most of us know our “drug of choice” for kicking bugs and mold and infection, as well as the ones that we hate.

I am anaphylactic levels of allergic to rocephin (found that out the hard way), but tolerate IV Bactrim really well. I feel like Bactrim is very often my clinic’s drug of choice with me, but the oral version really messes up my stomach, and is not a fun ride.

What about you?

paul-met-debbie replied 2 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

June 2, 2021 at 11:11 am

This is funny because Doxycycline is one of the few that I tolerate well! Not only that, it’s one of the few that my super resistant bacteria is susceptible to (so I’m glad my body tolerates it). Another that generally leads to pretty smooth sailing is IV Meropenem.

• paul-met-debbie

June 4, 2021 at 11:00 am

Doxycyline is the one that I used the most so far. I estimate I have been on it for 25 years at least. Next in line would be bactrim and clarithromycine, which I used for years back in the 90’s. Bactrim with some considerable side-effects though.

Favorite in the sense that when I needed it the most, it always did the trick for me, and fast, without any side-effects, would be Meropenem (IV).

But the best antibiotic would probably be my own immune-system. Working hard as ever, needing some assistance from antibiotics, but still my first line defense against infections I guess. Everything I do and don’t to keep this system in the best possible condition is worth every effort or sacrifice.