Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF What Are You Reading? (Book Clubs and Coughing)

• What Are You Reading? (Book Clubs and Coughing)

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on October 28, 2020 at 7:02 am

Since I talked about Comfort Movies yesterday (films that make you feel better when you’re sick), here’s another healing habit question:

Do you read when you don’t feel well?

I am normally a pretty avid reader (although more of an avid writer), but when I don’t feel well, I actually tend to not read because my eyes and head hurt, and medications can muddy the mental waters. Sometimes, my eyes hurt so bad from reading lips all day, that I just don’t have it in me. (I basically hate to admit this, because I love books, and my eldest daughter goes through about a novel per day.)

Anyways, if I DO feel well enough to dig into something, I love authors like John Green and Janet Fitch, but I really love memoirs, biographies and non-fiction. I could go down the “rabbit hole” of people and their lives all day. Maybe it’s why I studied Sociology in college? (lol)

What about you? What authors do you love?

april-biggs replied 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • april-biggs

November 3, 2020 at 2:46 pm

I am often reading 3-4 books at a time. Right now I am reading “Care Work: Dreaming Disability Justice” by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha, “Me & White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor” by Layla Saad, “Citizen: An American Lyric” by Claudia Rankine, “My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Mending of Our Bodies and Hearts” by Resmaa Menakem, and “The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma” by Bessel A. van der Kolk.

I am a writer of non-fiction and poetry, and lately I’m lingering in the realms of disability justice and anti-racism.

I miss my MFA (poetry) days at The New School when I could get a lot of really great fiction recs. Got any, send em on over!

• jenny-livingston

November 3, 2020 at 3:07 pm

April, I’m impressed by your ability to read multiple books at once! That’s something I’ve never been able to manage. Earlier this year, I also read “Me & White Supremacy” and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about race relations, oppressive systems, or the BIPOC perspective. So, so good! I’m incredibly interested in some of these other books you mentioned, so thank you very much for this response.

• april-biggs

November 4, 2020 at 10:15 am

Jenny – yes, I have been working through Me & White Supremacy with 7 other friends for the past few months. We are on the last day. Figuring out which anti-racism book is next.