Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums COVID-19 and CF Getting My Booster and Want Advice/Information Please!

• Getting My Booster and Want Advice/Information Please!

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on October 20, 2021 at 11:05 am

I am getting my booster/third shot tomorrow, as well as my flu shot, right before I head off to dance for a few hours, and then have dance again the next day.

I work everyday this week and it only gets worse from there (stage week is less than two weeks away), so I don’t really have a “down day”, unfortunately, to make room for resting if I have any side effects. I gotta just roll with it. My CF clinic advised not doing the vaccine and the flu shot on the same day, but that both are better than nothing, so I have to squish it all in before I have literally no time to do so for a long while.

My first two vaccines were Moderna, and try as I might have to not have any side effects (I was feeling very competitive with my husband – who had none- and wanted to prove I could do the same), I spiked a fever about 10 hours later and had chills and aches… but then had surgery the next day so quickly forgot about whatever side effects might have been.

So my question is: Has anyone had their booster yet? Did you have side effects with it? 

Anything you’d be willing to share, I’d love to know! I can’t take off work or have a rest day, but I still want to be vaguely prepared for smooth sailing or some symptoms, depending. More information is always nice to have!

How did it go for you? 

annette-starrantino replied 2 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • judy-moreland

October 21, 2021 at 2:33 pm

Hi Bailey,

I had both in the same day (different arms) over a week ago  The booster and regular flu shot did cause me to have sore arms for the next couple of days, but I think having covid and/or the flu would be much worse.  It reminded me of past booster shots I had.  The pain was not unbearable.

Jude

• jenny-livingston

October 21, 2021 at 5:54 pm

I just registered to get my booster next week. I also had Moderna and my first dose went really well, but that second dose was a doozy! I had aches, fever, some nausea, and fatigue for a couple days. I am hoping that the booster will be a little easier, but am fully prepared for a rough time if that happens to be the case.

With this year’s flu shot, I had a sore arm for about 48 hours but it was fairly mild. I hope that your shots went well and that your side effects are minimal. I can’t imagine dancing with sore/dead arms!

• paul-met-debbie

October 22, 2021 at 12:36 pm

From fda.gov:

“The Moderna COVID-19 single booster dose is half of the dose that is administered for a primary series dose and is administered at least six months after completion of a primary series of the vaccine”.

So, side effects may be milder than the original vaccine you had.

We will get our flu shot next week. Mostly we have no side effect from that.
    We are not eligable for a covid booster yet, because we only had our 2nd shot in july, so perhaps start of next year we will get our invitations for a booster.

Wish you all good luck, booster-wise.

• annette-starrantino

October 26, 2021 at 7:16 pm

Hi Bailey,

I got my Pfizer booster about a week ago.. My arm is still mildly sore. The evening of the shot I felt some fatigue but was able to push through with making dinner. No other side effects. Good luck!