• Hospital Playlist: Top Songs?

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on October 23, 2020 at 11:52 am

Since hospital stays and recovering at home was on my mind all week, I want to know:

What is your personal health anthem?

Do you have a “hype song” that you listen to before going in for surgery?
    Do you have one for when you need to stay calm?
    What song or music do you connect back to major medical moments?

Even though I’m Deaf (just incase anyone is new here and needs a little backstory), I LOVE music- as most Deaf people do- and have a litany of playlists for any given moment. If I had to decide on one song in particular, it would be either “The Great Escape” by Patrick Watson (which I listened to before heading in for my fundoplication), “Blood” by The Middle East, or “Promise” by Ben Howard. I listened to the band The Highly Suspect a lot too, to get myself revved up and ready (Can you hear me growling now?); “Lydia” is a favorite.

Sometimes, if I’m really nostalgic, I’ll play “Jellyman Kelly” which is a silly James Taylor song I’ve sung to my daughters for years. It’s a bizarre-o lullaby that lifts my spirits and connects me back to them when I’m scared.

None of those are “themed” to bad health, but I DO have a few tried and trues that are:

“Dance My Pain Away” by Wye Oak
    “Don’t Give Up” by Any Brun
    “Haunted Head” by Ezra Furman
    “If Before I Wake” by The Districts
    “Keep Breathing” by Ingrid Michaelson

Pull those up on your Spotify this weekend, and you will have a truly moody, deep-thinking sort of Friday!

I would love to share more about how I choose the soundtracks for dance shows, if interested? In particular, the score for the Company 360 show that takes place in a hospital. That, as you can imagine, is extremely topical. But… I’ll save that for Monday!

What are some of your top picks?

paul-met-debbie replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

October 26, 2020 at 9:40 am

Bailey, forgive me if this is ignorant, but I’d love to know more about how you experience music. I’m consistently amazed by your talent for dancing (which is the talent I’d choose to have above any other if it were possible) and I know that music is incredibly important to you. I’m so interested to know how you “hear” or perhaps feel the music.

I’m also a huge, huge fan of music. As long a I can remember, I’ve gotten goosebumps or literally shed tears when the lyrics hit just right or the music crescendos in the perfect moment. But I don’t have a favorite anything – artist, song, or even genre. I just love, love, love music. I’ve used it as a way to help cope and calm anxiety before and during procedures (like a PICC line placement for example) but it’s never a particular song or playlist.

I’m going to go through and listen to all the songs you’ve listed here. I’m always open to and love song suggestions!

• paul-met-debbie

October 26, 2020 at 11:24 am

Sideways related to this: a bit of good news resulting from covid.

The Dutch government started giving weekly live press conferences on national TV last spring to inform the people of the covid situation and recent measures.

In order to make these messages accessible for viewers with hearing difficulties, there was a sign language interpreter present. She did such a great job, that soon she became a popular presence on TV and even a pop song was made about her.

Today I read in the news that the only school for Dutch Sign Language registered an increase of 42% in new students. And procedures have started to give Dutch Sign Language the status of officially recognized language. Things like these put a smile on my face.