Cystic Fibrosis News Today Forums Forums Support Groups Adults​ ​With​ ​CF Realistic Morning Routines versus Ideal

• Realistic Morning Routines versus Ideal

Posted by bailey-anne-vincent on March 19, 2021 at 1:28 pm

Since I’ve been yammering on about routines and rituals all week, we might as well close out the week with a thought on Morning Thinking. Yesterday I asked about the last thing you ponder before going to sleep, and naturally, today I am curious:

What are the first 3 things you do every morning?

Are you great about self care and mental health and say a prayer, do some Huff breathing, and Yogi your way around the house? Do you hit the snooze button and avoid taking that morning med? Are you great about doing your vest and nebulizers, or do you push them until noon? Or do you do something different all together?

I’d love to know your Realist Routine (“let’s be honest here, kids”), compared to your Ideal Routine… because I do believe a realistic life needs a little forgiveness and pendulum between both now and again.

I try to not reach for my phone in the morning and succeed 90% of the time, but sometimes my Mom has text me so much already by that I have to reply or she will send me one of these: “????” (Hot Tip: You don’t want to get one of those from your Mom.)

I am really good about taking my morning medications with coffee- especially my nerve and heart ones- but terrible about eating consistently (sometimes it’s the last thing on earth I want to do) or doing nebs right then and there. I am a slow waker, though I wish I weren’t, and need a lot of time for my brain to come “online”. I am pretty good about applying sunscreen right away so, really… well, I basically am winning life! (That’s what that means, right?)

If I weren’t hurting so much and lived in a dream world, I would give myself a ballet barre or a gentle stretching session (preferably to Richter and Rachmaninov) but it really depends on if I’m teaching dance in the evenings. A lot of mornings start by breaking up the verbal squabbles of my kids, because they really love to push one another’s buttons bright and early (sisters are intense). I wish they would fight more in sign language to help a Momma out, but they love to be extra vocal and English, and I want to send them a metaphoric text that says: “?????”

What about you? Real versus Ideal?

jenny-livingston replied 2 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • jenny-livingston

March 22, 2021 at 10:48 am

First things I do:

1) I hit snooze, but only once. I’m very good about not sleeping through alarms or repeatedly hitting the snooze button. On weekends I don’t set an alarm, but naturally wake up pretty early, before anyone else in the house.

2) I check my phone. It’s a terrible habit, but I do! I sleep with my phone on silent and since I have friends who sometimes text late into the night, I regularly wake up to messages.

3) Some combination of stretches (still in bed), coffee, pills, taking the dogs outside for their morning potty, and a treatment. The order isn’t set, but these are the things that I do to get my day started.

Ideally…

I actually really like my morning routine. I suppose I’d wish for perpetual sunshine and longer moments of silence before everyone else wakes up. I thoroughly enjoy those moments, sipping coffee with the dogs asleep next to me on the couch, before the hustle and bustle of the day begins.

• rusty

March 24, 2021 at 12:58 pm

First off, I feed the cats. They are my alarm clock and when they wake me up there is no snooze button. They mean business! Next, I down a few morning pills while I make a cup of tea. When the tea is ready I’m off to the basement for airway clearance punctuated by sips of tea. Back upstairs I clean the litter box and make breakfast and peruse the paper as I eat and have coffee. This is my always routine, one I have been doing for decades. I told myself many years ago the CF is relentless and never takes a day off so I have to be the same way. The only time this doesn’t happen is if my wife and I are traveling somewhere. It has become so much a part of me now that I can’t imagine changing it. It may sound boring but I guess it has worked because I’m still here.

• aimee-lecointre

June 23, 2021 at 12:01 pm

My morning routine sometimes varies a bit day to day, but it’s something that’s important to me and makes me feel grounded at the start of the day.

1. Get up and pee then take the dog out.

2. Water, coffee, morning meds and treatments.

3. Journal, meditation, then breakfast.

• jenny-livingston

June 23, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Aimee, it’s so good to see you here! Maybe you’ll stick around and chat more often? A girl can dream 🙂